Curious about the game of Hockey? Sign up for our Learn To Play program. Our certified on-ice coaches are committed to provide a safe and fun environment to learn the game!
Session start July 11th 2020:
- Saturday mornings for 6 weeks
- $50 for the session. Jersey and socks are included for players doing their first learn to play with the Ice Hawks. (Equipment & USA Hockey membership not included in cost.)
- Rental equipment may be available upon request, please contact Gus Feldker. Here is a guide of what equipment is needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How safe is hockey?
- How old does my child have to be?
- Will you teach my child how to skate?
- Where can I learn more?
How Safe is Hockey?
While all sports include some level of risk, ice hockey is very safe if played in the correct manner. In Ice Hockey, children are required to wear protective gear that covers much of their body, so while the risk is not zero, it is greatly reduced.
Additionally all players are required to register and become a member with USA Hockey. Membership with USA Hockey includes insurance. Read more about USA Hockey Membership Benefits - http://www.usahockey.com
How Old Does My Child Have to Be?
Our Learn to Play program is open to ages 5 - 13. All are welcome!
Will You Teach My Child How To Skate?
While our program is certainly designed to help improve a child’s skating abilities, we do require children to have some experience in skating before signing up. Since the fundamentals of playing hockey involve skating, we want to make sure children who have an interest in playing are starting off correctly with the tools to succeed. We recommend participating in a Learn to Skate program such as: http://metrorecplex.com/learn-to-skate/
We recommend purchasing any needed gear at Play It Again Sports at 2015 W Us Highway 50, Fairview Heights, IL 62208. Mention you are with the Southern Illinois IceHawks for a discount!
You can learn more about SIIH here
Sign up for Learn to Play here