The purpose of tournament play is to challenge players with diverse competition and strengthen team bonding. The SIIH Tournament policy is provided as guidance for organizing tournament participation.
SIIH teams are allowed up to 3 tournaments per year (of which 1 must be local). Additional tournament requests must be presented to the SIIH Board for approval prior to commitment.
Tournament Expectations & Committments
- Tournament play is an additional financial commitment and is not mandatory for all teams.
- SIIH dues do not cover tournament registration, travel permit, travel costs, or hotel fees.
- Teams should discuss desired travel locations and player commitment before the tournament managers proceed with registration.
- It is important to set clear and specific expectations with families prior to commitments.
- Once a player is committed and dues paid, refunds will not be allowed.
- Team tournament registration dues are determined based on the number of players committed to play and tournament fee totals.
- Hotel and travel fees are at the family's expense in addition to tournament registration and travel permit fees collected by the team/tournament manager.
- Families opting to not participate in a tournament will not be punished or admonished for this decision. Any indication of such retribution will be referred to the SIIH Board for review.
- All costs and deposits for each tournament must be documented and retained by the tournament manager in the team accounting sheet.
- Audit may be performed by the SIIH board or Director of Managers at any time.
Tournaments held within the MoHockey district are considered local tournaments. Local tournaments are played in arenas that house a MoHockey affiliated team. Usually, the travel distance for local tournaments is 60 miles.
MoHockey sanctioned tournaments are listed on the MO Hockey Youth Division website.
Out-of-district tournament participation requires you to request a travel permit from MO Hockey. Out-of-district tournaments are those directed by teams outside the Missouri Hockey League District. Some examples are Chicago, Wisconsin Dells, Notre Dame, Southbend, etc.
**6U and 8U out-of-town travel must obtain prior written approval from the SIIH Board before committing.
Request travel permit early. The later you wait, the higher the fee for a permit. Failure to obtain a travel permit will result in $100 fee per incident.
- Include a copy of your complete USA team roster with the travel permit request form.
- Include a check payable to Missouri Hockey, Inc. with the travel permit request.
- Approved travel permits need to remain in your manager binder.
- Travel permits will not be issued during playoff season!
Southern Illinois Ice Hawks
4020 Green Mount Crossing Dr
Shiloh, IL 62269
Popular Tournament Sites
You may choose any MO Hockey and/or USA Hockey sanctioned tournament. This list is not exhaustive.
At least 80% of the team must have a commitment to play in a tournament. If 80% is not achievable, either choose another tournament option or work with your coach to ensure comfortable coverage to succeed in the event. A survey is a good way to ensure these results prior to registration.
Many travel tournaments are a "stay-to-play" event. Meaning, all team members must stay in a hotel sponsored by the tournament event. Generally, a list of available hotels will be given to the team manager to select your top preferences and any special requests. This is ultimately assigned by the tournament coordinator. If team members do not purchase a room within the designated hotel, the team is at risk of forfeiting the event.
Additional rooms may be reserved with the team for traveling friends/family attending the event as well, but not required as part of stay-to-play.